Left: The Avro 638 Club Cadet G-ACHP was delivered to Airwork Ltd at Heston on 21 June 1933. Used by Saunders Roe during World War II as HM570 and from 1946 as G-ACHP , it was withdrawn from use in 1948. Four years later in 1952, however, it was reactivated by the Vintage Aeroplane Club at White Waltham and survived until it crashed at Denham on 1 January 1956. Right: The Miles M.75 Aries, the ultimate development of the Miles Gemini, had a strengthened structure to meet the improved performance afforded by the two Cirrus Major 3s and redesigned tail surfaces to increase directional stability during single engined flying. G-AOGA was operated by Pasolds Ltd, White Waltham from 1956 until June 1963 when it went briefly to Ireland as EI-ANB. Restored as G-AOGA, the aircraft remained airworthy until it was damaged at Cork on 8 August 1969


Left: The DH.86 G-ADUH while in service with Gatwick based Union Air Services in 1947. Built in 1935, the machine was operated by Imperial Airways as 'Dryad' until it was sold to Aer Lingus as EI-ABT in October 1938. After World War II it returned to the UK and survived until May 1951 when it was damaged beyond repair in a ground colision with the Auster Autocrat G-AIBO at Bahrain. Right: Converted from a DC-4 by Aviation Traders at Southend, G-ANYB the prototype ATL-98 Carvair first flew as such on 21 June 1961. It was used on car ferry services from Southend to a number of continental destinations until it was withdrawn from use in March 1967 and stored at Lydd until broken up in July 1970. Twenty other Carvairs conversions took place with overseas customers being Interocean, Aer Lingus, Aviaco and Ansett ANA


Left: The Hawker Tomtit K1450 was one of a batch of six delivered to the RAF in July 1930. It served with 3 Flying Training School at Grantham and The Central Flying School at Wittering. The type served as an elimentary trainer until 1935 when several examples were sold as civil aeroplanes. One example, G-AFTA, ex K1786, survives today with the Shuttleworth Trust at Old Warden. Right: The Supermarine 508 VX133 was displayed at the 1952 SBAC show at Farnborough. The development aircraft was a forerunner of the Scimitar carrier based fighter.


Left: The Vickers Viscount 707 flew with Aer Lingus from 1954 until 1960 when it was sold to Southend based Tradair. After subsequently seeing service with Starways, British Eagle and latterly Channel Airways, it was scapped at Southend in February 1970. Right: The Heinkel He 64 VP-YBI was formerly G-ACBS and K3596. It was delivered to Umtali, Southern Rhodesia (now Zimbabwe) in January 1937 by A.H. Elton. The owner C.H. Perram, a frequent long disance flyer, flew it back to England for a holiday in 1938 during which it was hangared at Heston. It was laid up during World War 2 but reactivated in 1945 after which C.H. Perram undertook a 6000 mile trip with it around Southern Rhodesia, South West Africa (now Namibia) and South Africa. In 1952 it was abandoned at Belvedere Airport, Salisbury (now Harare) and soon became derelict


Return to Home Page